Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Thanks, @apsupdate on Twitter

@apsupdate live-tweeted last night's Southwest & Northwest Atlanta Parents & Partners for Schools (SNAPPS) meeting at Agnes Jones Elementary. Interim Superintendent Erroll Davis was present, and took some really good questions -- and provided some really good answers, as well. I was waiting to link to a report from the AJC or a local television station or something, but I don't seem to be able to find one. Hmm.

Anyway, if there's a way to provide a convenient link to the whole session, I can't find it. The link above goes to the first tweet, but Davis' Q&A starts later. Here are some select exchanges: Do remember that this is a live tweet and not a transcript.
Q: Did the administration think about the downside of dismissing teachers and principals before due process hearings?
A: No one has been dismissed; people have been put on administrative leave. I had to balance a risk management question. I am hopeful that many are exonerated. And if they are I hope they are welcomed back with open arms. But I also want to make it clear that cheating did take place. We will solve these problems. I don’t believe in pre-judgement but I do believe in accountability. Some will find themselves in the criminal justice system, the professional standards and our own administrative hearings. Right now things are not moving quickly because the criminal justice system wants to operate first.
Q: Follow up comments from a parent/teacher who wants teachers put into places where they can work while waiting on their due process.
A: As soon as possible those teachers implicated than can be put into other capacities while they wait, will be.
Q: Why are we taking this type of drastic measure against our educators? Other counties have not done that. 
A: We need to make one thing perfectly clear. People did cheat. A number admitted and resigned from our district because of that. Is this system handling it differently? Yes. We did not call in the GBI or special investigators. I believe this could have been avoided and handled it like other districts but if you analyze our initial responses it was not effective. It is what it is. As I said before my decision is a risk management decision for what is best for the children and I am comfortable with the decisions I have made.
Q: Will APS reconsider it’s high stakes testing methods?
A: Absolutely yes. I am not a fan of high stakes testing. Evaluation should be on a body of work. We want to give teachers everything they need to be successful.
As soon as there's a better, easier link, I'll edit this post to include it. In the meantime, I like what Davis is saying.

LATER: Well, there's another link, but I wouldn't call it a better report:
Atlanta Schools superintendent talks about cheating scandal [WGCL]
I'm not sure the reporter attended the same meeting @apsupdate tweeted. The reporter and anchor worked the phrase "tough questions" into the report a truly comical number of times, but on this issue I'll give 'em a pass.

LATER LATER: I expected Talk Up APS to be mindless public relations, but I must apologize for my mistaken first impression. They are posting excerpts from the same SNAPPS meeting, with cleaned-up (but not substantively changed) quotes of the interim superintendent's comments. Bravo and thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment